Home > Gaijin Chronicles > Gaijin Chronicles – Introduction

Gaijin Chronicles – Introduction

Hello.  My name is Azrael.  …No, that’s not my real name, of course.  My parents didn’t want me to get my ass kicked during grade school.  And no, I didn’t take the handle from the Smurfs cat, either.

I am an American who has been living in Japan since 2003.  I’m also a tall black guy.  In most situations, this isn’t particularly worth mentioning.  But in Japan…where the population is 99% Japanese anyway…in a field of sheep, I stick out like Godzilla.

Because of this, I’ve had some…interesting experiences.  You may know or remember me as the guy who wrote I Am a Japanese School Teacher/Gaijin Smash.  I may or may not be responsible for introducing the concept of kancho to the western world.  Believe me, that’s something I’m not proud of.  But hopefully, I showed you a side of Japan you never knew about.

Things have changed since my days of fighting off Japanese pre-teens trying to grab my dick and stick their fingers up my ass.  …Now it’s Japanese middle-aged men trying to grab my dick and stick their fingers up my ass.  No, I’m joking about that.  But I don’t teach English anymore.  I worked a few jobs which took me closer and closer to becoming to fabled Japanese salaryman.  I also noticed my stress level increasing at an alarming rate, so I bailed out of that right quick.  Now I work at a job that suits me, that just happens to be here in Japan.

This is my on-going story.  I’m not fending off weird Japanese cultural quirks anymore, but I’m not trying to be Japanese either.  If you have an interest in the “real” Japan, or just want to follow my life for whatever reason at all…stick around.

Just…not too closely, I don’t have that much space in the closest I call an apartment.

I’ll make updates the best I can, but since I don’t actually have a computer at home (my laptop started dying around 2 months ago) I can’t make too many promises.   My personal internet time now comes from borrowed time at work, or trying to use my PlayStation 3’s browser (which sucks) or my iPod Touch.  I would love to buy a new computer, but I simply just don’t have the money for one right now.  Even the most frugal of systems is out of my budget.

So keep your eye open in the sky for smokescreen updates.  Old school, baby.
Categories: Gaijin Chronicles
  1. Chibi
    June 4, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Wow….half a year of nothing and then BAM! this.

Well glad to see your still alive.

*bookmarks new site*

2. Miles
    June 4, 2010 at 4:57 pm

You know, I actually always wondered if Azrael came from the cat in the Smurfs. Now I have my answer! But where is it from then?

Well anyway, happy to see you back with more kick-ass update, although with less smashing and more chronicle…ing! Chronicling. Hu, chronicling is a real word.

• ukimalefu
      June 4, 2010 at 10:42 pm

I believe the name Azrael, in this case, comes from some anime, or video game (Final Fantasy?). It’s also the name of an angel (yes, those in heaven)

• Wile E
        June 5, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Was also a character the the anime Gundam Seed.

• OneCrazyJew
        June 12, 2010 at 12:33 am

Azrael is the Archangel of Death in Choirs of Angels, whose name in Hebrew means “The one God Helps.”

3. Schoko
    June 4, 2010 at 5:18 pm

SO glad that you FINALLY posted somethin to let us know you’re still alive. Thank GOD… Yokatta 😀

4. June 5, 2010 at 3:12 am

SWEET!
    After reading the entire Gaijin Smash blog earlier this year, I’ve been checking for updates at least once a week. My waiting(OCD?) has finally paid off! I’m glad to see one of my favorite bloggers returning.

5. caustiq
    June 5, 2010 at 4:47 am

Welcome back, good sir.

6. June 5, 2010 at 5:13 am

Good to see you back!

7. Bara
    June 6, 2010 at 8:17 am

Good to hear from you! Even as things change from the downright odd things school kids do to the more mundane things I think I’ll still be entertained by your posting on life in Japan.

8. Darkrider
    June 6, 2010 at 11:27 am

Azreal was also the name of the guy who took over being batman for awhile when Bruce Wayne was crippled. Anyways nice to have you back AZ!

9. Arthurfrdent
    June 7, 2010 at 5:47 am

so’s you know… most bloggers have a tip-jar or summat so they can defray the expenses of blogging… and having a computer to do it… you should figure if you could put in a paypal or whatever, because I’d help that way for certain. You words and experiences are worth it… I know once the kid arrives, you might have less time to write, but maybe more reason. So consider it, ne?

10. Aris
    June 7, 2010 at 9:43 pm

With the Japanese penchant for throwing perfectly good stuff away to replace with newer stuff, I would have thought it would be easy to find a decent second-hand PC/Laptop for free or very cheap.

Do WordPress.com allow you to insert Google Adwords into your blog? If so, it is a nice way to earn some extra cash from a well traffic’d site.

11. Strtpls3
    June 8, 2010 at 5:03 am

Glad to hear you are alive and things are going well. Good to have you back, Az.

12. Slapshot88
    June 9, 2010 at 12:08 am

Welcome back!!! Good to see you are still around. I actually have a laptop that I do not use anymore and although it would not be ideal for any kind of heavy graphics work it should be just fine to blog with and I would be more than happy to donate it to you Az, as sort of a way for paying for all the entertainment I have gotten from reading your blog in the past. Plus my wife would be more than happy to see another “unused piece of electronics” disappear from our house. Send me an email if you are interested…slap88@gmail.com

13. Calger459
    June 9, 2010 at 1:36 am

As someone who’s been reading Gaijin Smash ever since I got back from my year in JET (way back in 2004 now) I’m relieved and delighted to see an update and I agree, a change in blog focus is probably a good thing 🙂 I added this RSS feed to my Google page, and I’m looking forward to reading future posts! Congratulations on the new baby, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you guys!

14. joshuad31
    June 9, 2010 at 5:36 am

Wow I have waited so long to hear something. Finally more Az. I actually considered that perhaps you were dead when the outpostnine email I used to send you cash via paypal kept on coming back as undeliverable. Did you ever get that 1000 dollars I sent? Ok, well good to see you’re back anyways.

15. Seeker In Ignorance
    June 9, 2010 at 10:09 am

How much Japanese did you know when you first came to Japan?

16. David
    June 10, 2010 at 6:54 am

Good to see that your still alive, man^^

17. imnothere
    June 11, 2010 at 1:13 pm

hi Azreal, have been following your website for a few years. Glad to know that you are still alive and kicking. (1st time comment I think)

18. SadPanda
    June 11, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Hey, glad to see you still posting Az. Hope you put up another message board, so we can lurk there. Congrates on the baby! Once your kid is old enough, that’s when it’s time to pimp out your kid to the Japanese media. Mixed babies = $$$, if I recall.

19. Admiral Muffin
    June 12, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Yeah! Az is back! I used to read Gaijin Smash but never really posted in the comments.

20. joshua alas
    June 14, 2010 at 2:26 am

hey Az i been visiting your older sites for about a week now, i am a pretty much amazed for the way you tell your histories about japan, i would never imagine that it was like THAT, i am learning japanese here in my country, but my sensei would never tell that her country is like this(you know penis grabbing kids). well you have a new fan now

Saludos desde Honduras, CA

21. RieaMiea
    June 16, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Whooo hoo, glad to see you are back, Thanks to you I can’t wait to go to Japan. However I think I will stick to Tokyo, maybe I shall get in less trouble in the city.
    Anywhoo looking forward to following your adventures again.

22. June 25, 2010 at 2:42 am

Hey Az, you should accept donations from your readers for a new ‘puter…

23. Sizz
    July 3, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Move to Korea, and write about weird Korean Cultural quirks.

1. No trackbacks yet.